Psycho analysis of a blog - who am I?
Whew! Finally a long weekend.
Over a cup of coffee Sumi asked if I had recently checked Suvrat's blog and to check his interview. And I got a chance to catch up on some of my favourite blogs. And as it always happens with me, I started going into the older posts and after a couple of hard core geology stuff I needed a break, so moved on to his humour link. This was a fun post - that psycho analysed you through your blog! and I promptly decided to get some analysis done for myself. It was simple. I just had to put in my url and ta-daaa - there was my result! A MECHANIC!!!!

I know I do not write as frequently as most do, nor do my topics stick to any one theme. So it came as a total surprise that a profile could be generated on the basis of the few posts I had put up.

Now let me explain the reason for my surprise. About six months back Pushkaraj had conducted an MBTI excercise for some friends, where I found my type to be ENFP - and through the various excercises, found most of the traits were quite evident in myself to be ENFP. The score on the E however did tilt towards I - and I have often noticed a lot of I in me these days. But what a surprise when the analysis (of me) of my blog showed that I am an ISTP!

This is what the analysis read- The independent and problem-solving type. They are especially attuned to the demands of the moment and are highly skilled at seeing and fixing what needs to be fixed. They generally prefer to think things out for themselves and often avoid inter-personal conflicts. The Mechanics enjoy working together with other independent and highly skilled people and often like seek fun and action both in their work and personal life. They enjoy adventure and risk such as in driving race cars or working as policemen and firefighters.

It also gave a 'Brain Map' and it looked like this
The result prompted me to do a quick refresh on Myers-Briggs Type Indicators and read up on the two types. This is a gist of what an ENFP person is - "Warmly enthusiastic and imaginative. Sees life as full of possibilities. Makes connections between events and information very quickly, and confidently proceed based on the patterns they see. Want a lot of affirmation from others, and readily give appreciation and support. Spontaneous and flexible, often rely on their ability to improvise and their verbal fluency."

While an ISTP person is this - "Tolerant and flexible, quiet observers until a problem appears, then act quickly to find workable solutions. Analyze what makes things work and readily get through large amounts of data to isolate the core of practical problems. Interested in cause and effect, organize facts using logical principles, value efficiency."

Well now I know that I may be an ENFP but virtually I am an ISTP....thats intersting.
3 Responses
  1. Suvrat Kher Says:

    this analysis can be schizophrenic. I know friends who have two blogs and they showed up as different personalities on the separate analysis :)


  2. Pushkaraj Says:

    Well, here is a different case study. I have two blogs which are as different as chalk and cheese, and both show up as ISTP! The point to note is that I am an INTP myself.
    Interesting, nevertheless.
    Swati, as for your 'blog type' being ISTP as against your 'reported type' being ENFP, there is an explanation that Jung himself provides; in his theory of Type Development. According to that, we are born with a type and it does not change. However, life teaches us (if we are willing, that is) to acknowledge and judiciously use the non-preferred facets of our personality. In each type, the middle two alphabets stand for 'mental functions'. These two and their opposites have a critical role.
    In your case (ENFP), these would be described as
    Dominant - extroverted intuition - Seeing exciting possibilities for people and enthusiastically following them.
    Auxiliary - introverted feeling - Evaluating and organizing insights to help people realize their potential.
    Tertiary - Thinking - Using detachment and logic to analyze options.
    Inferior - Introverted Sensing - Storing and retrieving realistic, practical data.
    Jung postulated that in the first half of our lives, we struggle with the basic question of I am / I am not. Naturally, during that phase we trust and depend more on our preferred functions (N and F in your case) to seek answers to these questions. Midlife and its challenges can be confusing, exciting, depressing or challenging (or all of these together!) During the 2nd half of our lives, we tend to
    1. Question the choices we have made
    2. Re-evaluate work, relationships and purpose of life
    3. Experience a new part of ourself.

    As a result of conscious type development, we start using our tertiary and inferior function 'when appropriate'. In other words, your blog type reflects your 'learned behaviour'.


  3. Anonymous Says:

    Can anyone recommend the robust MSP tool for a small IT service company like mine? Does anyone use Kaseya.com or GFI.com? How do they compare to these guys I found recently: N-able N-central msp software
    ? What is your best take in cost vs performance among those three? I need a good advice please... Thanks in advance!